Web Folder Sources can be used to serve images from AWS S3, GCS or Azure cloud storage accounts. There are no performance differences when serving images this way, though if you need to change your origin's settings to be more private, you may want to switch your Source to an S3/GCS/Azure Source type.
What will happen when I switch?
Switching from the Web Folder to a different Source can result in double counting of Origin Images. To avoid this, we strongly encourage you to preserve the same URL path to prevent URLs from being registered as a different Origin Image.
If a URL was previously accessed via
/upload/image.png, it's important that the image will still be accessed via that same exact path after the switch.
How do I switch away from my Web Folder source?
If you use the same URL path, the Origin Image count will remain the same. In order to do this, you will need to do the following:
- Edit your current Source's configuration (DO NOT CREATE A NEW SOURCE!)
- Use the appropriate Source type (S3, GCS, Azure)
- You can find instructions for each Source type here: https://docs.imgix.com/setup/creating-sources
- Enter in the required fields for your Source type
- Wait about ten minutes for the Source to redeploy
If you've entered in the correct information, there will be no downtime as your Source redeploys.